Join us in discovering the opera stars of tomorrow at the Final of The Glyndebourne Opera Cup – an international competition for opera singers.
Tickets are available to the Semi-final and the Final which take place on the Glyndebourne main stage.
The Final will be the culmination of a long journey for the singers. Following an open call for applications, selected singers will attend preliminary rounds in locations around the world. 25 semi-finalists will vye for for one of only ten places in the Final, performing before an illustrious international jury chaired by Glyndebourne General Director Sebastian F. Schwarz.
Each installment of this biennial competition will focus on the work of one great operatic composer, starting with Mozart.
The winner will receive a top prize of £15,000 and the guarantee of a professional role at one of the top international opera houses. The competition offers prizes for second place (£10,000) and third place (£7,500), along with an Audience Award and a Promising Talent Award (£5,000 each).
Saturday 24 March 2018, 4.00pm – 9.00pm
Tickets: central seats £30; side seats £20
Ten finalists, accompanied by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, perform before the jury for the last time before the overall winner and runners up of the 2018 competition are announced. Make your own mark on history by voting in the Audience Award.
Horsted Place near Uckfield, Lewes and Glyndebourne is the Preferred Hotel of the 2018 Glyndebourne Cup and offers accommodation for stay during the competition.
Please check the Horsted Place website to check on accommodation.
The 2018 judging panel
- Sebastian F. Schwarz, General Director, Glyndebourne (Chair)
- Barrie Kosky, Artistic Director, Komische Oper Berlin
- David Devan, General Director and President, Opera Philadelphia
- Joan Matabosch, Artistic Director, Teatro Real de Madrid
- Sophie de Lint, Artistic Director, Zurich Opera and Director designate of Dutch National Opera
- Fortunato Ortombina, Superintendent, Teatro La Fenice, Venice
- Pål Christian Moe, Casting Consultant for Glyndebourne and Bayerische Staatsoper Munich
- Maria Mot, Associate Director, Vocal & Opera, Intermusica
The competition’s honorary president is Dame Janet Baker, whose own early career was fostered by Glyndebourne.
This exciting competition will be televised in a dedicated TV series on Sky Arts, Glyndebourne’s official UK broadcast partner for this competition.