About Glyndebourne education
Explore our history in the pages below.
If you’ve taken part in Glyndebourne education projects over the years, get in touch with your stories – we’d love to hear from you.
30 years of pioneering education work
In 2016 we celebrated 30 years of education work that has helped to:
- Commission 32 composers including Julian Philips, Lynne Plowman, Orlando Gough and Jonathan Dove, whose first ever opera was commissioned by the education department in 1990
- Give 3,000 amateur singers and instrumentalists the chance to take part in performance projects
- Enable 30,000 school pupils to experience the exhilaration of watching fully staged opera through its Performances for Schools programme, established in 2006
- Win four prestigious awards for our work, including two Royal Philharmonic Society awards, and be shortlisted for a further six accolades
Glyndebourne formed its education department in 1986 with the initial aim of complementing our touring activities. The department has expanded to deliver a year-round programme of work and is responsible for many of Glyndebourne’s new commissions, many of which are performed on the main stage.
During 2016, we celebrated with a number of events, including:
- World premiere of Nothing, a new opera by composer David Bruce and librettist Glyn Maxwell, featuring a chorus of young singers from Glyndebourne Youth Opera and talented young instrumentalists
- Glyndebourne Youth Opera performance of new compositions by Glyndebourne’s Young Composer-in-Residence, Lewis Murphy, inspired by the 2016 Glyndebourne Festival production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Partnership with Battle Festival and De La Warr Pavilion to commission a major new contemporary opera by the internationally acclaimed composer Howard Moody as part of the Root 1066 International Festival to mark the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.
Help support our education work
A lookback on the history of Glyndebourne education
Explore our past projects
Read about the organisations we work with
Find out more about those who have been involved in our projects.